On 5th October 2021, NSW had a new Premier elected, who is a strong defender of life!
In his first address after being sworn in, he was asked about his Catholic faith. He replied: “my religious views and my Christian faith is something I’m incredibly proud of”. 1
He also openly stated in an interview with Sky News Australia when he was NSW Treasurer: “I think everyone’s faith plays a role in terms of looking at issues”. 2
His track record would agree with his words:
- He voted against the abortion bill in 2019, stating in NSW Parliament: “The unborn also have human rights” (in contrast to former NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, who supported the Abortion Bill); and
- He also opposed same-sex marriage.
A brief summary of his political career can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONAZoLM0BY
What can we to do in response?
1. Pray. The Apostle Paul said to Timothy: “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
Pray for Mr Perrottet, that under his leadership we would live peaceful and quiet lives as we continue to speak-up for the unborn and other pro-life causes.
2. Support his views on key moral issues. Some media commentators have already started attacking his Christian views on abortion.
What can we do when friends and colleagues criticise his views? Support him; don’t stay silent. If we stay silent, we’re not speaking-up for the unborn.
We have the Lord of the universe on our side; we should not be afraid. 3
– Patrick Jason (Member of Riverwood Punchbowl Anglican Church)
3 2 Kings 6:15-17.